Fwd: Report from the Information Revolution Commission

P. F. (Pat) Anderson pfa at umich.edu
Fri Apr 27 09:16:20 EDT 2001

I thought this group would be interested in seeing the following
report on IT in contemporary academia from the University of
Michigan. FYI! -- Pat Anderson

>To: "Faculty and Staff"@umich.edu
>From: "Lee C. Bollinger" <pirc.report at umich.edu>
>Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 18:10:58
>Subject: Report from the Information Revolution Commission
>
>Dear Colleagues:
>
>I am pleased to share with you the final report of the President's Information
>Revolution Commission, available on-line at http://www.umich.edu/pres/inforev.
>
>The report is impressive.  It is a thorough, thoughtful, and
>comprehensive assessment of the University's information technology
>needs and opportunities.  For this tremendous, year-long effort, I
>am most grateful to co-chairs Stephen Director and John King, to the
>commission members, to the members of the several subcommissions
>that studied the implications of the information revolution for
>teaching, research, infrastructure, and global outreach, and finally
>to the many faculty, students, and staff who shared their thoughts
>and advice with the commission.
>
>The commission calls on us to embrace the emerging digital
>environment and to assist a world grappling with an explosion of
>information.  As the report notes, a key principle, sometimes
>overlooked in the midst of hyperbole about the digital age, is  that
>information is not knowledge.  The University must engage with these
>important phenomena without, I would add, losing the particular
>intellectual character that has marked the best academic
>communities.  The University of Michigan ought to play a pivotal
>role in harnessing the immense volumes of information to create real
>knowledge, and not least, knowledge about the digital environment
>itself.  The University's depth and breadth make an ideal setting
>not only for developing and using new technologies in research and
>scholarship, but also for studying how the information revolution
>affects every aspect of our lives ó from politics to science, from
>technology to culture.
>
>Many will be intrigued with the commission's concept of creating an
>"ecology of experimentation" to encourage new collaborations and new
>discoveries.  The sense of intellectual adventure expressed in this
>idea is one we all can appreciate. Experimentation may yield new
>areas of study, new approaches to old problems, and wider deployment
>of promising technologies that first appear in small pilot programs.
>In this process of trial and error, we will perhaps also discover
>useful knowledge about the nature of human interaction with these
>new technologies.
>
>Much work lies ahead to meet the challenges outlined in this report.
>The commission has emphasized that there are significant short-term
>technology infrastructure needs.  I am prepared to begin committing
>resources necessary for infrastructure upgrades, and to work with
>the executive officers and deans to strengthen the University's
>network dramatically over the next five years.  Indeed, some
> [...]

P. F. (Pat) Anderson                  734/763-2953, voice
Dentistry Library, Univ. Michigan     734/764-4477, fax
1100 Dental Bldg.                     <mailto: pfa at umich.edu>
1011 North University Ave.    WWW: http://www-personal.umich.edu/~pfa/
Ann Arbor, Michigan           WWW: http://www.lib.umich.edu/dentlib/
48109-1078

"No educational institutions ... can assume to be well equipped for their
work without a good library and museum. The library should contain ...
the entire literature of all subjects and branches taught in a given
institution. Dental colleges should be no means be an exception in this
respect." Taft, J. Dental Register 47 (1893):105-114.