[WEB4LIB] Re: Large screen monitors for public computers

Dan Lester dan at riverofdata.com
Mon Apr 23 19:33:44 EDT 2001

Wnro> It might be worth noting a little something about the "extravagance" of
Wnro> Sony Trinitron 21" displays...

Wnro> Dan, as far as I can tell, the only 21" display that Micronpc *sells* is a
Wnro> Trinitron (a Sony tube, doubtless in a Micronpc case). At least that's what
Wnro> their Web site shows as of today.

Glad to hear that.  I've certainly had no complaint with either of
them (slightly different models bought at different times). When I go
to the Micron Outlet Store here in Boise (they sell returns, unsold
custom machines, returns from reviews, etc, all after factory
checking, etc.) there is a significant price difference between the
"Micron" and the "Sony" monitors, though they never looked much
different to me in the store.

Wnro> I'm guessing that Sony offers Dell, Gateway, and Micron volume prices that,
Wnro> combined with reliability, make them the preferred vendor for big screens.

Makes sense.

Wnro> Not that Sonys can't be higher-priced at times (and, given my experience
Wnro> with durability/engineering, quite possibly worth it), but in this case
Wnro> there's a good chance that you're buying a Sony-built tube whether you
Wnro> think so or not. (If it says "San Diego" as the point of manufacture on the
Wnro> back, I'd almost bet on it; Sony builds a lot of displays in California.)

I may check when I feel strong enough to turn the darn thing around.
o-)

Wnro> Other than price, the only negatives about 20"-viewable (21") displays I
Wnro> can think of are that they're heavy and huge.

Having moved a bunch of 19s, I don't think there's that much
difference, though it does exist.  Even 17 can be quite a handful.

Wnro>  Certainly worth it where
Wnro> large type is needed. (On the other hand, so-called 19" displays cost a
Wnro> _lot_ less and are a _lot_ smaller...but the 21" units do offer 23% more
Wnro> display space, 192 square inches compared to 156.)

For me, at least, and a few others here, they're worth it.  Almost all
staff have 17s, and a dozen or so have 19, a few of us 21.  Some of
the 19 are based on need (either operational or vision problems), some
based on status.  However, just today we gave a 17 to one person and
she said she didn't like it, and wanted her good old 15 back.  We did
so, and someone else was happy as a result.

Wnro> (Note: you can't get away from the heavy-and-huge unless your library has a
Wnro> big endowment. A 20" LCD screen will set you back a bundle, probably $3,000
Wnro> or more.)

Would be nice.  Took a class for 3 days in Seattle a couple weeks ago
and the monitors were all LCD.  Not 20 inch, but very nice.  Of course
considering what we paid for the class.....(plus it was in expensive
downtown high rise real estate, so it let them save classroom space).

cheers

dan

--
Dan Lester, Data Wrangler  dan at RiverOfData.com
3577 East Pecan, Boise, Idaho  83716-7115 USA