[WEB4LIB] Re: CSS-2 "solution" and Font Tags

Thomas M G Bennett bennetttm at appstate.edu
Thu Apr 19 17:44:20 EDT 2001

Well I couldn't resist, although a valid point was brought out in example if
you have multiple font tags with different attributes this would not be
feasible, a program named BK ReplaceEm is a search and replace tool that
lets you choose a file extension and a directory to replace text in all
files that have the chosen extension.  You may also choose to include all
sub directories below the chosen directory.  I don't feel this is a better
choice over CSS-2 but this is a useful tool if you have need for such.  The
program also allows you to save each occurrence as a file set.  You can have
multiple search and replacements in one file set.  And, you can have it save
the original files to a backup directory in case you've made a replacement
which shouldn't have been replaced.

BK Replacement  (BK Bill Klein)

 http://www.orbit.org/replace/

The download is 572kb and can be run from a floppy, there are no dll files
installed outside of its own directory.  Best of all, this is freeware.

Note: Since I have found Edit Pad http://www.jgsoft.com I haven't used
ReplaceEm because I haven't needed to do a search and replace over multiple
directories since our WEB site moved to a new server a few years ago (static
rather than relative URLs of the domain had to be changed).  Edit Pad is a
replacement for notepad that lets you open files larger than 50k and do
search and replace on the current file being edited or over all open files.
A group of files can be dragged from Windows Explorer into the editor to
open multiple files or you can open one at a time.  You can also add any
file type to the open file menu in the 'file of type' drop down box.

Thomas

  Use The Help Desk at http://linux.library.appstate.edu/help
                      Rock and Rule
             Zope Rocks -- http://www.zope.org
           Python Rules  -- http://www.python.org
Thomas McMillan Grant Bennett      Appalachian State University
Computer Consultant III            University Library
Voice:  828 262 6587	           FAX:    828 262 2797

Windows 95 is a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit patch for an 8-bit
operating system that was originally coded for a 4-bit microprocessor.
 - Chris Dunphy     Boot Magazine