[WEB4LIB] RE: CSS-2 question

Julia Schult jschult at elmira.edu
Thu Apr 19 09:15:31 EDT 2001

From: "Reed, Tracey" <treed at clearwater-fl.com>
> For those interested in checking out the latest in table-less design,
check
> out this article:
>
> http://www.webmasterbase.com/article.php?aid=379
>
> from the Site Point.

Yes, but...

Even when I look at the demo pages in a compliant browser, if the window is
small (like it is on my iMac at home as a default, and probably on some
laptops) the text along the top menubar starts to run together.

The browser stats he uses show that 77-80% or more of users are using IE 5.x
or higher, or even Netscape 6.x.  Yet when you look at where those
statistics come from, it is ALL from sites that are counting visitors to
those sites, which are sites aimed at technology wonks or web site
designers.  He does add the caveat that the only stats that count for your
site are stats from  your site, but I don't see how he can claim any
pretense to applying those statistics to "the real world" user.

Finally, no-tables sounds wonderful.  So when am I going to find the time to
monkey with CSS, apply it to all my pages, and create two versions of all my
pages, one CSS compliant, one bare bones html?  All that, when what I really
need to do is learn how to do database-driven pages, and figure out this
XML/XHTML thing, and...

Any solid advice on how to handle technostress would be welcome.  Reply
off-list and I will summarize. ;-)

---Julia E. Schult
Access/Electronic Services Librarian
Elmira College