[WEB4LIB] "His mouse button must be stuck"

John Creech creechj at mumbly.lib.cwu.edu
Thu Apr 12 13:06:11 EDT 2001

> On the server in question, almost all hits are Perl CGI scripts, so a big
> part of our load problem may be abandoned Perl jobs.
>
> Has anyone else seen this kind of activity in their logs?  Or better yet,
> observed the user behavior that causes it?

Thomas, I've not seen too many comments on this and I had a not totally
dissimilar problem a while back. Out of curiousity, does browser
type/version appear to make any difference?

We had a bunch of site built perl scripts for remote access up until last
year when we went w/ EZProxy software for remote access.  We were using a
proxy auto-config file, among other things, and patrons had to reconfigure
browsers to point at the javascript .pac file.

I think we finally narrowed it (maybe?) to something in IE 4.x.  After
we'd gone w/ EzProxy, I set the auto proxy to somefilename.pac in my
browser, and watched the log file.  A few errors popped up, but then they
stopped, as long as I stayed on our web site. As soon as I left our web
site, though, every download from another server caused an error to appear
in the log file--the user appeared to be passing back through our server
ea. time.

Doubt this helps at all but wanted to pass it along.

John Creech
Electronic Resources & Systems Librarian
Central Washington University Library
400 E. 8th Ave. | Ellensburg, WA 98926 |
office - 509-963-1081 || fax - 509-963-3684
creechj at www.lib.cwu.edu