who is doing usability testing out there?

Laura Hudson lhudson at mail.sdsu.edu
Tue Apr 17 20:01:34 EDT 2001

Colleagues,

I'm writing an article about usability testing and I'd like to include a
discussion of what's going on specifically in the library world.  I know
about many of the projects that are being discussed at conferences and in
the literature, but I'm curious as to how prevalent usability testing is in
libraries. If you have time to respond to a brief virtual interview, I'd
appreciate it no end.  I will summarize to the list if you respond to me
privately.

1.  Are you doing or planning to do usability testing for your library
website?
2.  What techniques did you use/do you plan to use?
3.  Did you test on wire models, a preview site, or the real site?  Did you
test on multiple versions?
4.  How did you recruit test subjects?
5.  Do you have a budget for this project?
6.  If you are done, did you make changes to your website based on the data?
7.  What problems did you run into?  Will you do it differently next time?

I won't be discussing individual libraries in depth, so if you're planning
to publish about your project, this won't compromise that.  I'm more
interested in patterns and overview.

If you have other thoughts or leads, that's great.  Many of you have
already sent me your favorite usability resources, but if you know of
library-specific resources, articles, or websites, those would be appreciated.

I look forward to hearing from you!

Best,
Laura

Laura Hudson
Electronic Systems and Services Librarian
San Diego State University
lhudson at mail.sdsu.edu
phone: 619-594-3521
fax:  619-594-8982