Week 7: Virtual Acquisition Shelf and News Desk, Reminder and Update

gprice gprice at gwu.edu
Tue Apr 17 18:58:59 EDT 2001

The Virtual Acquisition Shelf and News Desk Update Week 7
New and Useful Web Sites, Industry News, Full-Text Docs of Interest to the
Info Professional.

http://resourceshelf.blogspot.com

4/17/01

Hello from Washington!

A bit early this week with the update. Wednesday, I will be traveling to New
Orleans for an opportunity to speak (with Chris Sherman)at the
AIIP (Association of Independent Information Professionals)conference.

Now, to the content!

The weekly highlight/reminder list containing just a few of the entries begins
a few lines down the page.  This e-mail is an abridged version of what you
will find on the weblog. Please stop by throughout the week for new resources
and news of interest to the information professional.

Sharing
---------
Please continue to let others know about the VAS&ND.

Finally
---------
Thanks for the continued support!
If I can be of assistance, you know where to find me.

Cheers,
gary

----------------
Weekly Highlights #7
The Virtual Acquisition Shelf & News Desk
http://resourceshelf.blogspot.com

Tuesday, April 17, 2001

U.S. Courts--State & Federal--Summary Tools
InstaCase.Com
Genie Tyburski of The Virtual Chase alerts us to an excellent current
awareness tool for court opinions in 11 state and federal jurisdictions.

Airline Industry--Financial Statistics--United States
Air Traffic--Statistics--United States
Air Traffic and Airline Financial Statistics: Updated with New Data
Source: Bureau of Transportation Statistics

Archives--Moving Images
The Internet Moving Images Archive is Now Online

http://resourceshelf.blogspot.com

----
Monday, April 16, 2001
Pulitzer Prizes--2001
Links to Pulitzer Prize 2001 Winning Material

Agriculture--Images--United States
History--Images--United States
USDA Historical Photos
>From the Site, "Most of the photographs on display in this section were taken
between 1937 and 1943 during the Farm Security Administration (FSA) era.

Employment--Scientists--United States
Employment--Engineers--United States
Doubling Up: A Profile of U.S. Scientists and Engineers Who Hold Second Jobs
(NSF 01-322)

Health--Statistics--Database
Health--Invisible Web
Ambulatory Care Drug Database System
----

Sunday, April 15, 2001
Book Reviews--Nicholson Baker's 'Double Fold: Libraries and the Assault on
Paper'
>From the New York Times
Reviewed by David Gates
--
>From the Washington Post
Reviewed by Michael Dirda

http://resourceshelf.blogspot.com
----

Saturday April 14, 2001
Business--CEO's--Lecture Series
Streaming Media Content
Captain's Of Industry Lecture Series
"A series of talks [12 lectures] at the 92nd Street Y in New York sponsored by
Business Week and moderated by Stephen Shepard, Business Week's
editor-in-chief." All lectures can be viewed via Real Player.

Information Quality--Health
Medical Information--Internet Access
New Term of the Day: 'Cyberchondria'
Source: BBC Online

Business--Rankings--United States
The 2001 ed. of the Fortune 500 is Now Online (Link to Complete Package)

Friday, April 13, 2001
Automotive Safety--Safety Rankings
Web Site Update
"New Rollover Ratings and New Crash Test Results Available on NHTSA's World
Wide Web Site" (Summary)

Investing--Database--Invisible Web
Brokerages--Performance--Database
Marketperform.Com
>From a News.Com article, "Marketperform.com tracked the stock recommendations
made by the top 48 brokerages back to February 1999.

Thursday, April 12, 2001
Full-Text Document Shelf
Transportation--Canada
History--Canada
Immigration-Canada
Source: Citizen and Immigration Canada
The Role of Transportation in Canadian Immigration 1900-2000
----

Wednesday, April 11, 2001
Full-Text Document Shelf
Copyright--United States--Tasini Case
U.S. Supreme Court Places
New York Times Co. v. Tasini Oral Argument Transcript Online

----
http://resourceshelf.blogspot.com
End Week #7 Update

Gary D. Price, MLIS
Librarian
George Washington University
Virginia Campus Library
Gelman Library
Ashburn, VA and Washington, D.C.
gprice at gwu.edu

Looking for Info Industry News?
New Search Resources?
New Web Accessible Documents?

Visit The Virtual Acquisition Shelf & News Desk
http://resourceshelf.blogspot.com