[WEB4LIB] XHTML and css

John Creech creechj at mumbly.lib.cwu.edu
Thu Sep 28 12:33:40 EDT 2000

On Thu, 28 Sep 2000, Eric Hellman wrote:

> http://www.w3.org/StyleSheets/home
>
> the href attribute uses the conventions for relative urls. (the home
> page URL is http://www.w3.org/)

Thanks, Eric.  And thanks to all of you who responded to my question of
displaying style sheets from an xhtml site.  What I realized after posting
was that I'd stated my problem incorrectly. The page source for the w3
home page states

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="StyleSheets/home" />

My problem lies in which *browsers* can display the sheet--

NN4 will not.
IE5 gives the message: "Internet Explorer cannot download download home
from www.w3.org.  Internet Explorer was not able to open this Internet
site. The requested site is either unavailable or cannot be found."

With IE5, if you add a '/' after home, you get a 404 message.

With Opera 3.62 I get a message saying that the type of file is unknown to
Opera.  However, it did allow me to download "home" as a text file that I
could then open in a text editor.

Interestingly, Mozilla Build 17 was the only browser I have on my machine
that would actually display the stylesheet onscreen.  Maybe it's pilot
error on my part, but at least w/ Mozilla I got what I wanted.

Thanks again for your help.

John Creech
Electronic Resources & Systems Librarian
Central Washington University Library
400 E. 8th Ave. | Ellensburg, WA 98926 |
office - 509-963-1081 || fax - 509-963-3684
creechj at www.lib.cwu.edu