[WEB4LIB] More on Wireless Librarian

Jim Barrentine jkb at ix.netcom.com
Wed Sep 27 09:43:14 EDT 2000

At 05:32 PM 09/26/2000 -0700, you wrote:
>I'm currently trying out our various databases and such to see how well they
>function via wireless.

Bill,

I am curious as to exactly what you are "testing".  I assume your databases
are remote commercial ones accessed via the Internet in which case the
11Mbps wireless link is certainly not the choke point in the connection.

I've been working with 802.11 wireless networks in libraries for over two
years now.  Believe me, they work.  For those of you that would like
pricing, check out http://www.eniview.net/eniproduct/OrderProduct.asp

These are about as good a price as I have seen.  If you have a little spare
cash and would like to stick your toe in the water, order the RG1000 kit
which includes one access point and one PCMCIA card for about $400.

Jim

James K. Barrentine
Information Partners, Inc.
Technology Solutions for Libraries