Google falls for Yahoo!

Eric Rumsey rumsey at blue.weeg.uiowa.edu
Tue Sep 12 09:51:48 EDT 2000

Last November, I reported that Google had the uncanny ability to sniff out
high-quality directory sites.  I'm now finding evidence that Google's new
alliances, especially the pact with Yahoo! that was announced in June, seem
to have compromised its ability to find directories -- Yahoo! is apparently
being pushed up and other directory sites lowered, or dropped completely,
in Google searches.

For more:
Searching for directory sites: Google falls for Yahoo!
Hardin MD Notes, Sept 12, 2000
http://www.lib.uiowa.edu/hardin/md/notes7.html

Please note: I'm considering this a draft document, open to changes pending
comments from the list -- Are there other explanations for my observations
about Google's ranking of Yahoo! and other directory sites.

Eric Rumsey, Hardin Library for the Health Sciences
University of Iowa, Iowa City IA 52242
<eric-rumsey at uiowa.edu>
319-335-9875 (voice), 319-335-9897 (fax)
Hardin Meta Directory of Internet Health Sources - Kudos -
http://www.lib.uiowa.edu/hardin/md/news.html