[WEB4LIB] OFF TOPIC, but others may have the same need!

Luc Grondin grondin.luc at uqam.ca
Tue Oct 31 10:56:49 EST 2000

Hello!

A 16:07 00-10-30 -0800, Terry Brennan a écrit :

>We keep stats of reference inquiries at our library service points.
>[...]
>Does anyone know of any software that will do the tallying as each stat is
>entered?

This may not be that much off topic if you have a Perl programmer available
(you do not need a guru for that).  Indeed, it would be fairly easy to
write a little CGI script which would increment by one the value associated
with a button in a script-generated Web page.  It could work as follow:

>From the log file, you keep the counts for each months:

Jan 2000|123|23|76|335|3
Feb 2000|212|31|65|287|16
Oct 2000|345|67|101|455|43

The script would read the current months data and generate a Web page with
a button associated with each data.  By clicking the appropriate button,
the script adds 1 at the right place in the log file and return a Web page
waiting for the next question. At beginning of a new month, the script
creates a new line in the log file, where it starts counting from 0.

This setting would allow multiple users sharing the same log file.

>Thanks for any crumbs you can offer!

All you need is a programmer to write the script, so my answer may not be
the kind of crumbs with useful nutritive value  :-)

Best Regards

  ---
  Luc Grondin
  Bibliothecaire/Librarian