[WEB4LIB] Budget for Accessible Web Workstation

Barbara Gellis Shapiro barbara at gate.net
Sat Oct 28 13:30:52 EDT 2000

Hi,

I'n no expert either, but the Dept of Defense has a helpful site for
making websites and workstations accessible:

http://www.tricare.osd.mil/cap/

It does not list specific products, but it does give you an idea of
types of products that can help in various situations.

Another site: The Job Accommodation Network
http://janweb.icdi.wvu.edu/english/homeus.htm

is a free service, and may have information on specific products and
costs.

Barbara

"Karen G. Schneider" wrote:

> Hi, I have just been asked today (Sat.) if I can get a budget together for
> an accessible web workstation for our public Internet areas... by early next
> week, of course.  :-)  A group is interested in donating funds for creating
> such a workstation.
>
> The idea is that this would be an Internet and Microsoft Office workstation
> which would address needs of the visually challenged, folks with low
> mobility, etc.  (The "etc." being the area that I am either only casually
> familiar with or do not realize is something we should provide... e.g. I am
> aware text-to-voice software would be a good idea, but which package?)  This
> makes a lot of sense since we don't get a LOT of people in who have special
> needs, but we do get a variety.  Most our workstations are
> wheelchair-accessible, and of course this one will be too.
>
> I realize there are great websites out there where I could assemble great
> amounts of information and select all kinds of products.  What I am looking
> for here is a "leg up": if you've done such a project recently, and have a
> list of what you bought and ideally what it cost, that would be great.  (can
> you hear my voice crack as I beg...)
>
> This will almost certainly be a Windows 2000 workstation running IE and
> Office 2000.
>
> pitifully grateful,
>
> Karen G. Schneider kgs at bluehighways.com
> Assistant Director, Shenendehowa Public Library, NY
> http://www.shenpublib.org
> Schneider's Law: Information flows along the path of least resistance.
> (Schneider's Corollary: Get over it.)

Barbara G. Shapiro   (mailto:barbara at gate.net)
Barbara's News Researchers Grafitti Pages
 -- http://www.gate.net/~barbara/index.html
"Life is what happens to you while you're
 busy making other plans."     -- John Lennon