Budget for Accessible Web Workstation

Karen G. Schneider kgs at bluehighways.com
Sat Oct 28 10:26:14 EDT 2000

Hi, I have just been asked today (Sat.) if I can get a budget together for
an accessible web workstation for our public Internet areas... by early next
week, of course.  :-)  A group is interested in donating funds for creating
such a workstation.

The idea is that this would be an Internet and Microsoft Office workstation
which would address needs of the visually challenged, folks with low
mobility, etc.  (The "etc." being the area that I am either only casually
familiar with or do not realize is something we should provide... e.g. I am
aware text-to-voice software would be a good idea, but which package?)  This
makes a lot of sense since we don't get a LOT of people in who have special
needs, but we do get a variety.  Most our workstations are
wheelchair-accessible, and of course this one will be too.

I realize there are great websites out there where I could assemble great
amounts of information and select all kinds of products.  What I am looking
for here is a "leg up": if you've done such a project recently, and have a
list of what you bought and ideally what it cost, that would be great.  (can
you hear my voice crack as I beg...)

This will almost certainly be a Windows 2000 workstation running IE and
Office 2000.

pitifully grateful,

Karen G. Schneider kgs at bluehighways.com
Assistant Director, Shenendehowa Public Library, NY
http://www.shenpublib.org
Schneider's Law: Information flows along the path of least resistance.
(Schneider's Corollary: Get over it.)