[WEB4LIB] IE 5.5 and printing problems?

Kevin Justie kjustie at webrary.org
Thu Oct 12 14:46:25 EDT 2000

> Has anybody run into printing issues using IE 5.5?  I "upgraded" our
> public workstations from IE 5 to 5.5 and shortly thereafter began having
> an intermittant, but continual printing problem (networked HP printers):

We've had virtually the same problem (ours usually requires a PC reboot
before we start with the garbage pages), though apparently not nearly as
frequently (<2 times per month), for the 2+ years we've used a network
printer for our Internet PCs.  This has happened with various versions of
Netscape, though -- we've never used Explorer.  Our printers are an LJ 6p
and an LJ 4000, though I doubt the printers have anything to do with it.  By
any chance are you using an Intel NetPort Express print server to put the
printer on the network?  We've used two different models in two different
groups of PCs, and had this problem with both.  It has continued to happen
with new PCs, Win95 and 98, newer versions of Netscape, and with both
printers now on a single NetPort box.  We've never networked the printers
with anything else, so we can't specifically link it to the NetPorts,
though.

Kevin Justie
Ass't. Director, Head of Technical and Automated Services
Morton Grove Public Library
Morton Grove, IL
(847) 965-4220
kjustie at webrary.org
http://www.webrary.org
Opinions expressed are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect
official Library policy.

***  The box said "Windows 95 or better," so I bought a Mac!   ***