[WEB4LIB] counting use of resources

Randy Souther southerr at usfca.edu
Thu Oct 12 14:00:45 EDT 2000

Isabel Danforth wrote:

> We have a page which contains links to a variety of remote databases.  Some
> of these products do not provide us with statistics and we would like to at
> least get a count of how many people use them.

On our web site, we have written a separate database description page for each
database we use. Our pages with lists of databases by subject, etc. link to
the separate description pages. The patrons must pass through the description
page before they can get to the database. Consequently we can get rough
statistics on database usage from our University web server by looking at the
number of hits each database description page receives. With a lot of
databases, creating all of the description pages is a large task, but
worthwhile for a number of reasons.

http://www.usfca.edu/library/databases/index.html

--
Randy Souther