FW: [WEB4LIB] counting use of resources

Gimon, Charles A CAGimon at mpls.lib.mn.us
Thu Oct 12 10:00:07 EDT 2000

We run visitors through a counter page before referring them on to the
remote database. URLs look like this:

http://www.mpls.lib.mn.us/subcount.asp?URL=41

We're running a little Access database behind this that stores info about
all the remote databases. Here, 41 is "What Do I Read Next?". When the user
clicks on the link, the subcount.asp page queries the database for the URL
for What Do I Read Next, increments the clickthrough count for that database
by 1, and sends a redirect to the user to go to that URL.

Separate counts are kept for library staff, public terminals in the library,
and users outside the library. We have a separate page for staff that
queries the same database and reports the clickthroughs on each database
month by month.

Of course, we host our own server; what you're able to do will be limited by
what your web hosting service allows.

--Charles Gimon
  Web Coordinator
  Minneapolis Public Library