Free web based services used on library web sites

Polly-Alida Farrington paf at albany.net
Fri Oct 13 12:20:09 EDT 2000

Does your library web site use any free (or inexpensive!) web based services
to add some content or functionality to your site?

I'm particularly interested in services that don't require installation
of files/programs/scripts on your own server.   eg: Free indexing,
polls, surveys, content headlines, library related affiliate programs, etc.

I'm doing a conference program on this topic in a few weeks and
would like to show real examples of the interesting ways people have
put these services to work - in ANY type of library.

Some examples of what I've seen so far:

http://www.scpl.org/history/
Pico Search index used to find surnames in  history/genealogy
web pages

http://www.colonie.org/library/calendar.html
MindIt e-mail notification service used to let library patrons
know when an events calendar has been updated.

http://www.uhls.org/seniorsconnect/health-heatlh.html
Free headline contents from ISyndicate used to add some up-to-date
content to a resource page for seniors.

http://www.uhls.org/troy/
Chapter a day - Online Book Club (affiliate program? content provider?)

Thanks so much for your help!

Polly-Alida Farrington
paf at albany.net