[WEB4LIB] Re: Free form service

John Harvey jharvey at irving.lib.tx.us
Thu Nov 30 12:43:41 EST 2000

Cameron Metcalf wrote:

	I've had to use free e-form services over the last couple years.
	had to change three services, 'cause spammers
	take advantage of these types of services..
	the current service I've been taking advantage
	of (for the past 9 months) is

	http://www.freeandclear.nu

	free and clear is  fairly reliable; and will give you considerable
control
	over
	the way your forms are handled.

	After trying a number of these services, freeandclear is my
favourite.

As I've had numerous issues with other remote CGI processing services
(slowness, advertising on the pages seen by the user and on the e-mailed
registering, I configured a test page, cut and pasted the code into a form,
and ran it.

I'm quite impressed; no advertising, a very quick server response, and easy
setup. After seeing this, I registered all six of our online reference
forms, changed the coding, and uploaded the files to our server.

All in all, it seems a very useful tool for those with limited server access
or CGI experience.

Of course, the others that I've used were advert-free and fast in the
beginning. We'll see if Free and Clear can keep it up.

Oh, there's another plus: Free and Clear's coding doesn't put your e-mail
address on the form page, where the spammers' harvesting spiders can find
it.

John C Harvey
Irving Public Library [http://www.irvinglibrary.org/]
jharvey at irving.lib.tx.us

In this world there are only two tragedies. One is not getting what one
wants, and the other is getting it.  -Oscar Wilde