[WEB4LIB] RE: :CueCat -- Any Progress? Kind of.

Eric Hellman eric at openly.com
Mon Nov 27 23:26:16 EST 2000

 From our perspective, the best way to use CueCat is not to install
any CueCat software at all. You can then use CueCat as a general
purpose low quality bar-code scanner.

We have a web page that reads ISBNs using a CueCat Javascript. It's
part of our (nascent) ISBN tools site. There's also a  book search
that's fast and blunt, an ISBN directory, and an ISBN check digit
verifier java class.

http://ISBNtools.com/

The CueCat, on scanning a bar code, "types" characters that are easy
to decode into ISBN's or UPC codes.

At the higher end, pay attention to the Qoder from Qode.com, and the
database they have behind it. Makes the CueCat look pretty tacky.

My guess is that the "cease and desist" orders mentioned by Thomas
Dowling are a transparently clever ploy on the part of Digital
Convergence to get "hackers" excited about doing things they think
are naughty, but which in fact are to the benefit of Digital
Convergence.

Eric
Eric Hellman
Openly Informatics, Inc.