[WEB4LIB] RE: Does this exist?

Dan Lester dan at riverofdata.com
Mon Nov 27 14:51:26 EST 2000

Well, Jorge, I'm not impressed.  I don't mean that I might not be
impressed if I could see or buy the software. Details of how not to
run a business follow:

1. I searched the web for Webtricity and found a favorable review.
2. There was a link to the publisher, www.micrografx.com/, which seemed
like a good and useful thing.
3. The website doesn't feature Webtricity at all.  By searching I
found it.
4. No trial download available, despite a button saying so.
5. To find out pricing and purchase options I had to tell them
everything about me except my mother's maiden name on a very long
form.
6. The list of sellers only listed wholesalers.
7. The purchase online button produced an ASP error.

So, I called the 800 number listed on the page and:

1. Waited on hold for 13 minutes, with an extremely irritating beeping
going on in my ear and occasional "your call is important"
interruptions, which were actually nicer than the beeping.
2. Talked with a gentleman who told me that the filling out of info
before even finding a price has something to do with US vs. European
pricing.  Made no sense to me, since lots of others manage to deal
with that issue without filling out a form, especially since the form
didn't validate any of the required fields for anything but the
presence of some characters.
3. He did explain that the Draw 6 program had been sold to another
company that shelved it, so there would be no updates to it.  It is
clear that this is a product at the end of its life.
4. The sales rep did do his job of being apologetic and of trying to
get me to buy some of their other products at $400 each.  Not likely.

So, I may still go get a copy of it.  He said that Best Buy, CompUSA,
and Staples normally have it in stock and that under no conditions
should I pay over fifty dollars for it.  Of course those stores are
all out by the mall, where freeway construction is going on.....

cheers

dan

--
Dan Lester, Data Wrangler  dan at RiverOfData.com
3577 East Pecan, Boise, Idaho  83716-7115 USA