:CueCat -- Any Progress?

Rich.Harrington at co.hennepin.mn.us Rich.Harrington at co.hennepin.mn.us
Mon Nov 27 12:56:10 EST 2000

The :CueCat idea is the beginning of a good idea, but the execution isn't
ready for prime time.  We got a :CueCat, but I never hooked it up to my
home PC, since I never read anything at the PC (if I did read there, I
could just type in a URL with only a little more effort).  The :CueCat
should have been wireless, and should not depend on a live connection to
the Web to be useful.  I think it would be far more useful for me as a user
to be able to scan the information while I'm reading (in an ad or an
article), and then, if I wish, look up that information later.  Ideally,
you could scan in any location, such as at the beach, in the library, or on
the bus.

A company called Xenote was trying out a product and service called iTag
that allowed something like that for the radio.  The iTag was a small
device that fit on a key fob.  When you heard something on the radio you
wanted to find out more about when you got home, you click the iTag button.
Then, you connect the device to your PC, and you can find out who sings
that song, or more about that airfare sale you heard advertised.

Being able to time-shift information access is important to information
users today (VCRs were an early indicator of this.  The Web and devices
like RePlay TV also recognize this.).  A successful :CueCat will do the
same -- otherwise the idea won't work until there are fast and persistant
Internet connections available through portable PDA-like devices that are
affordable for most consumers that you might carry with you everywhere.

Xenote as a company has folded, but I would bet the idea will resurface.
Find out more at
http://www.xenote.com/
http://www.internetworld.com/050100/5.01BuySell.asp

Rich