[WEB4LIB] Re: browsers and screen sizes

Miriam Bobkoff mbobkoff at ci.santa-fe.nm.us
Sat Nov 25 16:04:18 EST 2000

Global statistics for pages carrying the counter from TheCounter.com, for
the month of October, list the following browsers:

1. MSIE 5.x    369341075 (66%)
2. MSIE 4.x    86672979 (15%)
3. Netscape 4.x    72932564 (13%)
4. Netscape comp.    9330162 (1%)
5. Unknow    6077557 (1%)
6. MSIE 2.x    3958924 (0%)
7. MSIE 3.x    2561440 (0%)
8. Netscape 3.x    2552658 (0%)
9. Opera x.x    719852 (0%)
10. Netscape 5.x    273951 (0%)
11. Netscape 2.x    93333 (0%)
12. Netscape 1.x    4031 (0%)
13. MSIE 1.x    1353 (0%)

I have that counter on a little literary magazine a friend and I publish
online. Our users' browsers have a different distribution (and our hit rate
is negligible, so I've deleted the tiny numbers of hits, left the
percentages)

MSIE 5.x   (44%)
Netscape 4.x  (30%)
MSIE 4.x   (23%)
MSIE 3.x    (1%)
Netscape 3.x   (0%)

Why the difference? Readers of poetry are more conservative about browsers?
Have older equipment? (Hey, my home machine is a Windows 3.1  486 workhorse
with an old Netscape on it, and I plan to keep it operating for a long time
still...)

Miriam Bobkoff                     personal: mbobkoff at rt66.com
Santa Fe Public Library            work: mbobkoff at ci.santa-fe.nm.us
                [  Santa Fe Poetry Broadside               ]
                [  http://www.rt66.com/~sfpoetry/          ]
                [    featuring Issue #17, September 2000   ]