Tripp, Tim tim.tripp at uhn.on.ca
Fri Nov 17 13:50:06 EST 2000

Greetings, Gentlefolk,

Thanks to all who replied to my original query.  Just to clarify, what I was
hoping to find was a (hopefully) free, web based calendar application which
would allow distributed parties to input events, but have restricted access
for editing and deleting events.  The reason for this is that in Toronto we
have at least a dozen fairly active information related professional
associations, and our event calendars often conflict.  The Toronto Chapter
of SLA is hoping to promote a centralized calendar resource where all groups
in the area can submit their events, creating a single source for event
scheduling at both the association and individual level.

The responses I received fell into two categories - the type I was looking
for which I'll characterize as "community calendars," and more of a
groupware/personal organizer type service.  Granted the line between the two
is rather blurry, but the latter group offered a lot more functionality than
is required for our purposes.  I'm including both here, as I'm sure there is
interest.

I've not done a detailed analysis of features, but have included any
thoughts I had based on my quick review...

Community Calendars:

MetaEvents
http://www.metaevents.com/

Calendars Net
http://www.calendars.net/

(the above two seem to be similarly featured and can be had for free.
MetaEvents' product has the ability for submitted items to be placed in a
queue for review by an adminstator, which is a nice feature I didn't notice
with Calendars Net.)

Julian Web Calendar
http://julian.lights.com/
(is actually an appliation for purchase, but the company will also host for
a fee)

Groupware/Organizers:

eTango.com
http://www.etango.com/

Yahoo's Business Essentials
http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/smallbusiness/solutions/communicate.html

There are many others, and this appears to be a hot topic based on two
recent review articles:

Access Magazine (a newspaper insert) this week reviewed several of these.
Check online at
http://www.accessmagazine.com/reviews/inprint/inprint.jsp#OnlineOrganizers

Web Calendars: A New Way to Keep Track of Your Life--From Anywhere
http://www.ecompany.com/articles/mag/print/0,1643,5795,00.html

--

Tim Tripp
Clinical Decision Support, Project Manager
Work : tim.tripp at uhn.on.ca
Home : tim at timtripp.com
http://www.timtripp.com/