Norton Antivirus Summary

Melissa Saucier msaucier at harrison.lib.ms.us
Fri Nov 17 10:14:43 EST 2000

Thanks for all the responses!  Everyone is  a
wonderful help.  We have set up a small network to
test it out before we put it out to all the
libraries.

Melissa Saucier
Harrison County Library System
Gulfport, MS

From: Susan Fischer <SFischer at EBPL.org>

We are using NAV over our network and it is a
wonderful product. Updates are
easily downloaded on the server and are
automatically distributed to all
clients. Symantec System Center monitors all PCs
on the network. I highly
recommend it.

   From:
         "Pratt, Mike" <mpratt at uwa.edu>
     To:
         "'msaucier at harrison.lib.ms.us'"
<msaucier at harrison.lib.ms.us>

Hi Melissa,

I'm running Norton Anti-virus Enterprise Solution
4.0 on my NT network.  I'm
running both the Norton Anti-virus client and the
Norton Antivirus for
Microsoft Exchange Server.  Both have been GREAT!
I installed on a server,
configured a distribution package and placed the
exe file on my web server.
Windows 98 clients run the executable (that
installs silently) and then
reboot their machines.  With NT workstation
machines, you can do a full
install from the server (silent and no reboot
required).  Virus definitions
can be set up to automatically propagate to all
clients, both 95/98 and
NT/2000.  I tell the server to get def updates
from Symantec every night at
11:00PM.  When an update comes in, the client
automatically gets it the next
time the client asks the server if it has updates
available.  You can set
the time for clients to ask the server for updates
(by default the client
looks for updates every 3 minutes)  You can also
have multiple servers and
you can spread your clients among the servers
evenly).  Basically, I've
installed it and installed on my clients and that
is it.  They have a fully
functional anti-virus client so they can scan when
they want to.  I can also
do scans (manual and scheduled) from the server to
the clients.  You can
also set a lot of options that get put into the
package you create for
clients, such as not allowing them to close Norton
and telling the client
what to do when it finds a virus (clean,
quarantine, delete, etc).  The NAV
for Exchange Server is great too... the impact it
has on the server isn't
noticeable for the end user at all.  It may take
.5 seconds longer to
deliver a message, but hey, I'll take that to keep
virus' from propagating
via email.  Since I installed this software 6
months ago, we have pretty
much eliminated virus problems where the program
is installed.  We are still
in the process of installing everywhere.  I highly
recommend this software
suite.  And if you are running exchange server
without virus protection,
this is definitely the way to go.

I looked at several other packages and some
offered good features, but they
just didn't seem to give you the "total package"
you get from Norton.

I hope this helps and if you have any questions,
feel free to send me a
message.

Mike Pratt
Information Systems
The University of West Alabama

From:
Chris Shaffer <shaffer at uic.edu>
To:
msaucier at harrison.lib.ms.us

We use this product and have had no problems with
updating our NT4.0
Workstations or our Windows98 laptops.  You can
configure it to update
clients from the server cache or directly from
Symantec FTP.