[WEB4LIB] Re: Library web site organization

Garwood, Steve sgarwood at camden.lib.nj.us
Wed Nov 1 13:59:15 EST 2000

You know I remember when I was in library school and looking up information
in periodical databases and having to remember that Wilson worked this way
and ABI worked that way, and absolutely despising the whole process. When
the Web came out and there started to be some universality in how things
were searched I thanked the gods that I was praying to at that time.
I find it maddening today however that some of the tools out there that the
library provides access too (making them OUR tools in the patrons eyes)
don't fit the Search Engine orientation. We use EbscoHost for just about 95%
of all our magazine/journal work, it pisses me off that you have to type
and/or in search phrases...well maybe someday they'll learn too.

On a personal note, I TRIED to take away as much of the library talk as I
could on our website www.camden.lib.nj.us , but old habits die hard.
Additionally, I tried to follow most of Jakob Nielson's www.useit.com
usability "guidelines" in my design. As an Internet Instructor, I knew that
most of my beginners wouldn't/couldn't scroll and that most of our hits were
usually coming from beginners (the advanced ones see our page in the
library, then immediately type where they want to go in the address box), so
I tried to eliminate the need to scroll on the majority of pages on our
website, ergo, I had to make for categories.

My last diatribe - Anyone else believe that we need to perhaps stop having
10,000 odd library websites and perhaps really come together and build ONE
library on the Web? It's where the "patrons" of today are, but not really
where we are.

Steve