Chat & E-mail Blocking

Goodwin, Sue Sue.Goodwin at nhmccd.edu
Wed May 17 09:51:57 EDT 2000

We have 25 computers in the library available for research in databases,
Internet & the library catalog.  To keep these computers available for
research, we don't allow word processing, e-mail or chat.  A computer lab in
another building has 50 computers for those purposes.

Currently we enforce our policy by signage & by speaking to anyone we see in
a chat room or e-mail site, but, of course, there are always those students
who keep two windows open & switch to another one when they see us coming.

We're looking into software that would block e-mail & chat sites but would
still allow the students to reply to a professor from his home page, take a
test online & send it, or participate in a course-based chat room (Campus
Cruiser).  I've heard about WinProxy and Fortres.  Does anyone who's tried
these have comments on their efficacy?  Is there a site that compares
blocking software?

Sue Goodwin
Reference Librarian
Kingwood College Library