[WEB4LIB] How to describe a site?

Dan Robinson Indexing Services drobinson at info.hwwilson.com
Thu May 11 13:11:00 EDT 2000

Hanan, it is important to use the 'real' title of the website or
webpage in your list. If the link gets broken for some reason, the
user can use the title to search the site (if that option exists), or
start the backtrack through a search engine. It doesn't matter that
the title seems to make no sense.

You give the titles 'sense' in your description and keywords.  If you
have a few sites on 'eating disorders', then that phrase should be in
your keywords. A keyword list will bring them all together. Many
times the HTML Title will be different from the written title for a page
in one of the head fields. Then I would include the written title in the
description.

Also, think of the problems that you'll create for yourself when
trying to update or check for live links later. You won't be able to
print a list of links and titles and check them off. You'll have to
either retrieve your whole entry for everything, or try to remember
where you used the real title and where you didn't. And, if you give
the updating to someone else, they'll find the site with the 'real'
title, check it against your titles, and enter a new record, since it
obviously doesn't exist in your list.

Dan Robinson
Indexing Services
H.W. Wilson Company