Unauthorized copy of web pages

Jacqueline N Loop/LOO/CC01/INEEL/US LOO at inel.gov
Tue May 9 23:46:41 EDT 2000

Here's the situation - our library has a programmer on loan from the
computer department,
tasked with building an interactive web interface to our catalogs.     He
has built a web
page for searching the catalogs, on a separate server from the library's
main web page server.
On the left of his page he has cloned the list of links from the library's
main web page.
Instead of actually pointing to the main page links, he has copied the
pages & put them on
his server (actually a library server, but he has taken over administrative
control of this NT
server & blocked access by library staff).

Either by design or ignorance, not all of the files were put on his server,
so the customer
who does a catalog search & then thinks he is returning to one of the main
web server pages
can get incorrectly displayed pages or in some cases broken links.  I feel
this is going to
erode customer confidence in the library's real web server & consider the
page to be under attack.
This has been going on in one form or another for several weeks, & my
heretofore polite requests
 to cease & desist have been met with - nothing.

I am considering my course of action now  - I know I have to come up with a
solution within the
constraints of my own work environment, but I am curious to know if this or
something similar has
happened to anyone out there & how  you fared in resolving it.   Or if I'm
worrying too much
about small annoyances.

Thanks,
Jackie