[WEB4LIB] Re: Revisiting mouse/Netscape problem

Dan Lester dan at riverofdata.com
Fri May 5 17:17:24 EDT 2000

Friday, May 05, 2000, 1:49:19 PM, you wrote:

BR> On Fri, 5 May 2000, Dan Lester wrote:

>> As others have pointed out, you need to use a decent telnet client.
>> Again, there is one built into Windows, so why not use it?

BR> I beg to differ, at least if you're referring to telnet.exe. It is not
BR> "decent", it is "nearly functional". It has no passthrough print support, no
BR> function-key support above 4, poor screen management, no macros, etc., etc.

Well, the difference is what we see as minimally necessary for someone
to connect to the online catalog.  Our catalog has a built in print
function that dumps the records to the printer, so no need for other
print functions.  No macros, function keys, or anything else are
necessary.  It just needs to connect, allow the patron to use letters,
numbers, and arrows.  The patrons can not use the client to go
anywhere but directly to the telnet version of our catalog.  And, most
choose the web interface anyway.

Would I want to use it for email, for doing useful things on a U**x
box, etc?  Of course not.  But for many library OPACs it does just
fine.  And the price is right.

Obviously, all of us will vary in needs and choices.  Many are happy
driving to work in an old beater.  I like my comfort, air
conditioning, CD changer, etc.  But we won't argue that or Win vs.
Mac, either.

cheers

dan

--
Dan Lester  dan at RiverOfData.com
3577 East Pecan, Boise, ID 83716-7115 USA