[WEB4LIB] Wireless vs. wired LAN for libraries

TMGB bennettt at am.appstate.edu
Wed Mar 1 20:30:22 EST 2000

We are using cabletron's "RoamAbout 802.11b 11 Mbps Access Point and
Wireless Laptop/Desktop Solutions"  Actually, we just got in the 11 Mbps
units, we've been using the earlier 2 Mbps units for just over a week
for patron use.  I'm in a three story brick building with terrazzo
floors and practically all metal bookshelves.  We have just begun a
program to let patrons check out IBM 390e ThinkPads for a two hour loan,
renewable.  I've had excellent communication, that is the least of the
problems.  And, the other problems aren't networked based really(booting
without a network card bypasses NT authentication and profiles, nature
of a notebook).  In testing, I was able to communicate from the first
floor to the third floor and about 30 feet away from the position
directly above the access point.  The biggest blockage of signal is
through concrete block walls.  They make an adapter to use on a desktop
computer to allow use of the PCMCIA cards.

This system was installed not as a need to expand in general but more
specifically to give patrons this mobile feature, but it can be used for
expansion if need be.  You can set the access point to different levels
of density, that is if you have several access points you would want to
set each to low density.  The wireless cards pickup on the strongest
signal so when they get closer to another access point the communication
is switched from the previous access point to the closer one.

You can find the data sheet and more info at:

http://www.cabletron.com/wireless/

I understand that Lucid is also highly rated but I haven't had any
experience with the Lucid card personally except it did appear that the
Lucid card will not talk with the cabletron system even though it looks
like the software came from the same origin.  There is a possibility
that what kept the Lucid card from talking with the cabletron system is
the System Name.  You can set it so that the computer settings require
the same System Name to talk to the access point.

I expect that

http://www.lucid.com

will get you to lucid's sight for their info.

Thomas

Don Hamilton wrote:

> I sent this a couple of days ago, and got no response at all. That would be
> OK, but I can't even find my post in the archive, so I'm guessing my email
> hiccupped.( either that or the web Gods were angry that I reported a y2k bug
> with Swish-e and the web4lib archives).  Sorry if you've seen it before.
>
> Back in December, the following question was asked. There were several
> broader question...
>
> We are about to undergo a long overdue building renovation. Are there any
> good discussion papers on the pros and cons of wired vs. wireless for
> libraries? In particular, what are the current cost comparisons? I like the
> idea of entirely wireless based on flexibility during inevitable shuffling
> of workstations, and 'grow ability', but worry about the ability of radio
> waves to traverse thick stacks of books (and stacks of thick students ;)).
>
> What say you, oh wise and wondrous list?
>
> Don Hamilton (mailto:dhamilto at mach2.wlu.ca)
> Information Technology & Cybrarian by Osmosis
> Wilfrid Laurier University Library
> Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
> 519-884-0710x3336
> fax:519-884-8023

                      Rock and Rule
             Zope Rocks -- http://www.zope.org
           Python Rules  -- http://www.python.org
Thomas McMillan Grant Bennett      Appalachian State University
Computer Consultant II             University Library
bennettt at am.appstate.edu
http://www.library.appstate.edu/webmaster/
Voice:  828 262 6587	           FAX:    828 262 3001

Windows 95 is a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit patch for an 8-bit
operating system that was originally coded for a 4-bit microprocessor.
 - Chris Dunphy     Boot Magazine