[WEB4LIB] Wireless vs. wired LAN for libraries

Dan Lester dan at 84.com
Wed Mar 1 19:30:23 EST 2000

DH> We are about to undergo a long overdue building renovation. Are there any
DH> good discussion papers on the pros and cons of wired vs. wireless for
DH> libraries? In particular, what are the current cost comparisons? I like the
DH> idea of entirely wireless based on flexibility during inevitable shuffling
DH> of workstations, and 'grow ability', but worry about the ability of radio
DH> waves to traverse thick stacks of books (and stacks of thick students ;)).

Depending on the environment, you may want to use non-radio wireless.

My main concerns with wireless would be that I still haven't
eliminated the problems of shifting workstations, as they're still
tied into power (at least for the foreseeable future).  As long as you
run Cat5 where you run power, you should be OK.

Our student union is putting in some wireless this semester, but their
situation is one with plenty of power and no net cabling, and no easy
way to put it in a stupidly built building.

I've not really answered your question, but hope this thought is
useful.

dan

--
Dan Lester, 3577 East Pecan, Boise, ID  83716-7115  USA
dan at 84.com   www.84.com   www.postcard.org  208-383-0165