Wireless vs. wired LAN for libraries

Don Hamilton dhamilto at mach2.wlu.ca
Wed Mar 1 15:09:43 EST 2000

I sent this a couple of days ago, and got no response at all. That would be
OK, but I can't even find my post in the archive, so I'm guessing my email
hiccupped.( either that or the web Gods were angry that I reported a y2k bug
with Swish-e and the web4lib archives).  Sorry if you've seen it before.

Back in December, the following question was asked. There were several
broader question...

We are about to undergo a long overdue building renovation. Are there any
good discussion papers on the pros and cons of wired vs. wireless for
libraries? In particular, what are the current cost comparisons? I like the
idea of entirely wireless based on flexibility during inevitable shuffling
of workstations, and 'grow ability', but worry about the ability of radio
waves to traverse thick stacks of books (and stacks of thick students ;)).

What say you, oh wise and wondrous list?

Don Hamilton (mailto:dhamilto at mach2.wlu.ca)
Information Technology & Cybrarian by Osmosis
Wilfrid Laurier University Library
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
519-884-0710x3336
fax:519-884-8023