[WEB4LIB] NT Server 4.0 question

TMGB bennettt at am.appstate.edu
Wed Jun 28 17:05:34 EDT 2000

You can use the program convert.exe to change a FAT partition to NTFS.
The usage is "convert D:/FS:NTFS" to convert drive D to NTFS from FAT.
This is a one way process, you cannot switch back.  If you are running
NT on a Digital ALPHA you HAVE to run the boot loader from a FAT
partition but the WINNT system can be on another disk or partition
whereas on an INTEL machine you can boot from a NTFS partition.

Once you convert the FAT to NTFS you can use the Disk Administrator to
create a volume from two or more partitions.  A volume will appear as
one drive.

Hope this helps,
Thomas

ps: moving the nt files to another partition would include editing the
boot.ini file and probably a load of stuff in the registry.

Jeanne Heicher wrote:

> O Great NT Wizards,
>
> In trying to get our catalog on the Web, I need to rearrange my
> drives, after having installed NT on the primary FAT partition
> (mistake, I know). Can I just move all the NT files to the NTFS
> logical drive by drop and drag (or cut and paste), or do I need to
> reinstall into the NTFS logical drive? Or can I just change the size
> and file system of the drive, without reinstalling?
>         Hoping against hope for a quick fix,
>         Jeanne Heicher
> xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Newport Public Library                  Hours:
> 316 N. 4th St.  Newport PA 17074        Mon.   1 PM  - 8 PM
> (717)567-6860  FAX (717)567-3373        Tues.  10 AM - 5 PM
>                                         Wed.   1 PM  - 8 PM
> nppublib at pa.net                         Thurs. 10 AM - 8 PM
> http://www.pa.net/nppublib              Fri.   1 PM  - 5 PM
>                                         Sat.   10 AM - 2 PM
>
> Thank you for supporting your community library.
> xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

                      Rock and Rule
             Zope Rocks -- http://www.zope.org
           Python Rules  -- http://www.python.org
Thomas McMillan Grant Bennett      Appalachian State University
Computer Consultant III            University Library
bennettt at am.appstate.edu
http://www.library.appstate.edu/webmaster/
Voice:  828 262 6587	           FAX:    828 262 3001

Windows 95 is a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit patch for an 8-bit
operating system that was originally coded for a 4-bit microprocessor.
 - Chris Dunphy     Boot Magazine