[WEB4LIB] NT Server 4.0 question

Dennis Brantley dennis at dati.com
Wed Jun 28 12:55:08 EDT 2000

Jeanne Heicher wrote:

> O Great NT Wizards,
>
> In trying to get our catalog on the Web, I need to rearrange my
> drives, after having installed NT on the primary FAT partition
> (mistake, I know). Can I just move all the NT files to the NTFS
> logical drive by drop and drag (or cut and paste), or do I need to
> reinstall into the NTFS logical drive? Or can I just change the size
> and file system of the drive, without reinstalling?

Simply copying the files to the NTFS drive will work, with some notes.
First, the copy cannot be made while booted to the NT you want to copy.
Several important files will be locked.  If there is a compelling reason
not to do a new install, you can try this.  Install NT to yet another
partition, boot to it, and from there copy the original NT from its FAT
location to the desired NTFS location.  Next, you will need to modify
the boot.ini to change the boot partition.  Once copied, the NTFS
permissions will need to be set.  See below.

The FAT partition can be converted to NTFS using the 'convert' utility
from the command line, but again the permissions will be incorrect.
Personally, I would reinstall, but if you do either of the others, see
MS article Q148437 about setting the NTFS permissions.

Dennis Brantley  mailto:dennis at dati.com
Data Access Technologies, Inc.
Internet/Remote Access - CD Networking - Thin Client Computing
Citrix Solutions Partner/Citrix Education Solutions Provider