Google Indexes a BILLION pages?

Tara Calishain calumet at Mindspring.com
Mon Jun 26 10:46:08 EDT 2000

Hey folks,

Google's home page is claiming that their search engine now indexes a
billion pages.

A billion. Billion. BILL-YUN.

Yoiks.

Anyway, here's my ResearchBuzz writeup and a couple pointers for more
information.

Billion. Cripes.

Tara

  Google Goes Giga: A ONE BILLION PAGE SEARCH ENGINE???!

Sometimes you just get the idea that something is in the air -- and
then your readers toss you cryptic e-mails. A big thanks to reader
AK who alerted me to Google's new look this morning -- GIGA GOOGLE
( http://www.google.com ) is now claiming over one BILLION Web
pages in its search engine index ( according to the press release
at http://www.google.com/pressrel/pressrelease26.html .) In a
separate press release (
http://www.google.com/pressrel/pressrelease25.html ) Google
announced that it is now Yahoo's default search engine provider.
(In other words, they'll be the index Yahoo searches if there are
no results in the Yahoo directory.) That means Yahoo has gone from
AltaVista to Inktomi to, now, Google. Wow. This is quite a Monday
and it's not even 10:30 yet.

ResearchBuzz:
" ... without a doubt one of the most consistently
valuable and interesting Internet resources
newsletters available." -- The Scout Report
http://www.researchbuzz.com