[WEB4LIB] Versions of Netscape

Dale E. Goodell goodeld at wou.edu
Wed Jun 21 18:11:22 EDT 2000

I have had the best luck disabling Netscape features using the WinSelect
Policy/Kiosk combination package ( www.winselect.com ).  Use the Policy
component to lock down Windows in general; the Kiosk component to lock
down Netscape.

They have configured profiles for various browsers versions with a number of
items already disabled; just follow their instructions for installing the profiles
along with WinSelect.  You can also use their "record" feature to disable
additional features in Netscape too.

You can disable AIM by simply deleting the folder "AIM", buried under the
Netscape folder.  I currently have Communicator 4.5 installed on our public
machines and will be upgrading to 4.7 later this summer.

> I have a question about the different versions of Netscape.  I know about
> Netscape Standalone 4.08 (we use it on our public terminals with Librowse
> protecting the system).  However, I am curious if upgrading to 4.7 will give
> our patrons some added functionality and also get rid of the hassles of
> integrating Librowse.  If I do this, I need to find a way to disable AIM,
> Netscape Composer, Netscape Messenger.  What are your experiences with
> different versions of Netscape?
>
> I will be configuring the browser to super kiosk mode with many options
> disabled thanks to the many useful tutorials online (many can be found at
> Andrew Mutch's site http://tln.lib.mi.us/~nort/tech/netscape.html.).
> However, when experimenting with the full version of Netscape 4.7, when I
> click on an e-mail address, the e-mail client opens.  Again, can this be
> disabled?

Dale E. Goodell
Information Technology Consultant
Computer Support Unit