[WEB4LIB] Versions of Netscape

Andrew Mutch amutch at waterford.lib.mi.us
Wed Jun 21 13:26:57 EDT 2000

Brent,

I'm not really aware of any additional functionality gained by moving to
Communicator 4.73, especially if you are going to disable Composer and Messenger
[unless you consider the "Shop" button an "improvement" to the toolbar.]  Plus,
if you are going to be running in Superkiosk mode, most of the "improvements" to
4.73 won't be available.  I haven't noticed any difference in performance with
Java applets [which would be the only possible difference I'm aware of] and both
seem to implement CSS in the same fashion [spottily!]  I don't think Netscape
made any major improvements to the browser between the release of 4.08 and 4.73.

Also, be aware that some of the "preferences" hacks that I described will cause
errors when the "prefs.js" file is set to read-only in any version of
Communicator above 4.5 [usually when you exit Communicator].  These don't occur
with 4.08, which is why I continue to recommend it for Public Access usage
[Internet, OPACs, etc.]

You might try some of the suggestions made about deleting or renaming certain
DLL files.

Andrew Mutch
Library Systems Technician
Waterford Township Public Library