[WEB4LIB] Windows security

TMGB bennettt at am.appstate.edu
Thu Jun 15 15:51:05 EDT 2000

If your not comfortable using regedit, use the windows policy editor.
You can setup a profile which will be "picked up" per login.  When you
create the policy I would create a public user, default user, and
administrator policy.  Set the path for the public user desktop and add
shortcuts for that user, see the screen shots at
http://www.library.appstate.edu/webmaster/profile.html   Give the
administrator all rights to everything.  Set the default user to access
to nothing unless you want the default to be public access.  The default
is any login or none.  If you add a new shortcut to any directory later
it will show up the next time that user logs in.

The policy editor actually edits the registry file.

In the policy editor you define the path for each user's login.  If no
path is defined it uses the machine's default directories for the
desktop.  I've only used policies with an NT server and Win9x clients.
For logging into an NT server, the config.pol file has to be in a
specific path ( \winnt\system32\repl\import\scripts\ ) and the file has
to be config.pol.  As far as I know you can implement policies on a
single machine networked or not.

Thomas

Deb Kinsella wrote:

> Hi all:
>
> Is there a way to password protect the Start menu button in Windows 98
> without using separate security software?  A colleague is having problems
> with patrons changing desktop settings and wants to shut their users out of
> the start menu altogether.  I thought there was a way, but I'm not turning
> anything up on Microsoft's knowledge base or in this list's archives.  Any
> help appreciated.
>
> Thanks -
> *^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^
> Deb Kinsella
> Missouri Library Network Corporation
> 8045 Big Bend Blvd., Suite 202
> St. Louis, MO 63119-2714
> (800) 969.6562 x816
> (314) 918.7222 x816
> Fax: (314) 918.7727
> deb at mlnc.org
> *^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^

                      Rock and Rule
             Zope Rocks -- http://www.zope.org
           Python Rules  -- http://www.python.org
Thomas McMillan Grant Bennett      Appalachian State University
Computer Consultant III            University Library
bennettt at am.appstate.edu
http://www.library.appstate.edu/webmaster/
Voice:  828 262 6587	           FAX:    828 262 3001

Windows 95 is a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit patch for an 8-bit
operating system that was originally coded for a 4-bit microprocessor.
 - Chris Dunphy     Boot Magazine