Microsoft antitrust verdict released

George Porter george at library.caltech.edu
Wed Jun 7 16:40:41 EDT 2000

Without getting into the partisan and sectarian issues surrounding this
court case, I'd like to contribute a point of information and raise a very
directly library/web-related question.

The verdict has been released:
<http://www.dcd.uscourts.gov/microsoft-all.html>

How is your library going to handle the information?  We had a very divided
take on the most appropriate approach to take with respect to the decision.
In the end, we decided to post a prominent link on the library's main
webpage <http://library.caltech.edu> to the verdict, but not to any news
stories or analysis.  The link will stay on the page for a limited time,
probably only until the end of the week.  The rationale was that this is a
very high profile current event and the court decision is the kind of high
quality, primary source information which libraries are expected to deliver.
It is expected that there will be some significant amount of interest on
campus due to the ubiquity of Microsoft products.

Where to other libraries stand on the potentially charged issue of promoting
access to this information?

George S. Porter
Sherman Fairchild Library of Engineering & Applied Science
California Institute of Technology
Mail Code 1-43, Pasadena, CA  91125
Telephone (626) 395-3409 Fax (626) 431-2681