[WEB4LIB] Computer Training Room Specifications

TMGB bennettt at am.appstate.edu
Wed Jul 12 10:00:17 EDT 2000

Well I wasn't going to reply to this one because I thought there would
be many replies that more than fully covered the topic.  But, I haven't
seen any mention of an 'electronic' whiteboard, just whiteboard.  We
have just recently completed updating our lab with an Ibid electronic
whiteboard( http://www.microtouch.com/ibid/index.shtml ), a digital
document camera ( http://www.projectors-now.com/samsung.htm ), one of
the newer Proxima projectors, and a Comweb control system
(http://www.comweb.com/ ).  The Reference Instructors are very pleased,
to put it lightly, with the new equipment.  See the URLs above for
detailed descriptions of the products.  The Comweb system allows the
instructor to freeze all computer screens (they love that), show any
computer through the projector.  The Comweb system requires that all
mice, monitors, and keyboards be exactly the same.  The Proxima
projector is ceiling mounted and projects onto the Electronic white
board.  There is a remote control for the projector for focus, zoom and
other options and a wall switch for power.  The Digital Document Camera
is the new age overhead viewer and more.  The DDC has a greater clarity
than any overhead viewer and the camera can also be turned in most any
direction even to show the instructor on the Electronic Whiteboard.  The
Electronic Whiteboard allows you to interactively use any computer
program shown through the projector.  That is, you press the back button
on the projection of a web browser and you go back to the previous URL,
its a touch screen as one of its features.

Rather than try to describe all of the features of these pieces, check
out the URL for each.  One thing we don't have that someone else
mentioned is a dimmer for the lights but with this new system the
instructors don't even turn the lights out at all any more.

Thomas

our lab layout (not to scale and will not appear correct unless your
viewing plain text or fixed size fonts):

^ < > indicates direction students are facing
EWB  Electronic Whiteboard
NP   Networked HP 5Si
PROJ Ceiling hung projector

______________________________________
|           |______EWB______|         |
|-----------|                         |
| Teacher   |                         |
|Workstation|                         |
|-----------|                         |
|           |------|------|           |
|-----|     |      |      |    |------|
|  ^  |     |  >   |   <  |    |  ^   |
|_____|     |      |      |    |______|
|           |------|------|           |
|           |      |      |           |
|-----|     |  >   |   <  |    |------|
|  ^  |     |    |PROJ|   |    |  ^   |
|_____|     |------|------|    |______|
|           |      |      |           |
|           |  >   |   <  |           |
|-----|     |      |      |    |------|
|  ^  |     |------|------|    |  ^   |
|_____|     |      |      |    |______|
|           |  >   |   <  |           |
|           |      |      |           |
|-----|     |------|------|    |------|
|  ^  |     |      |      |    |  ^   |
|_____|     |  >   |   <  |    |______|
|           |______|______|           |
|                                     |
|-----|                        |------|
|  ^  |                        |  ^   |
|_____|                        |______|
|                                     |
|----|    |-------------|             |
| NP |    |Lab Assistant|             |
|____|____|___Station___|__  door   __|

"Pinkham, Lida" wrote:

> If the sky was the limit, what would the specifications look like for your
> ideal computer training room? A room that would be used to train both staff
> and the public on computer applications and that would be accessible to
> those with disabilities.  Computer applications would not only include the
> basics like the internet and wordprocessing, but also some web design and
> graphics programs.
>
> I'm looking for cutting edge ideas with a practical application.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Lida Pinkham
> Public Library of Charlotte & Mecklenburg County
> Library Resource Trainer
> 704-353-0631 (phone)
> 704-366-8633 (fax)
>
> Check out the PLCMC family of websites:
> http://www.plcmc.lib.nc.us/family/family.htm
>
> "Read the best books first, or you may not have a chance to read them at
> all."
> ~Henry David Thoreau

                      Rock and Rule
             Zope Rocks -- http://www.zope.org
           Python Rules  -- http://www.python.org
Thomas McMillan Grant Bennett      Appalachian State University
Computer Consultant III            University Library
bennettt at am.appstate.edu
http://www.library.appstate.edu/webmaster/
Voice:  828 262 6587	           FAX:    828 262 3001

Windows 95 is a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit patch for an 8-bit
operating system that was originally coded for a 4-bit microprocessor.
 - Chris Dunphy     Boot Magazine