[WEB4LIB] WRAP Attribute for Forms

Samuel Mcdonald smcdon at rci.rutgers.edu
Mon Jul 10 15:12:13 EDT 2000

Since this was interesting I went looking:

here is the best discussion that I found:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-html/1996Nov/0076.html
see next
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-html/1996Nov/0078.html
"WRAP is entirely NETSCAPE specific.
 MSIE on the otherhand forces wrapping all the time."
(follow the thread ad nauseum)

http://www.htmlcompendium.org/4form-t.htm
"Opera 3.51 specifically precludes the wrap option as does WebTV 1.2."

http://www.webwisewizard.com/html/html014a.shtml
HTML Tutorials: Forms Textarea Wrap

http://www.idocs.com/tags/forms/_TEXTAREA_WRAP.html
"You may from time to time see other variations on WRAP, such as VIRTUAL
or PHYSICAL. Netscape introduced these attributes a few years ago as
proposed
extensions to HTML 3.0, then abandoned them. Officially, the HTML 4.0
specs don't list WRAP, but Netscape and MSIE list WRAP = HARD | SOFT | OFF
in their guides. It's best to stick these three values. "

Hope that this was helpful and interstsing..I thought so.

-Sam

Samuel J. McDonald                                smcdon at rci.rutgers.edu
Webmaster                              http://www.libraries.rutgers.edu/
Rutgers University Libraries                        Voice (732) 932-7505
Alexander Library, 169 College Ave., New Brunswick, NJ 08901-1163