[WEB4LIB] Bibliographic capture software

Dorothy Day day at indiana.edu
Wed Jan 26 13:42:07 EST 2000

On Tue, 25 Jan 2000, Dale Askey wrote:

> Is anyone aware of other software packages that have the
> capabilities of BookWhere 2000? For those not familiar with this
> program, it makes Z39.50 connections to multiple catalogs (user-
> selected from a list of hundreds) and retrieves MARC records based
> on search input. It can then export them directly to a ProCite or
> Reference Manager bibliography with no intermediate step.
>
> It's powerful software and easy to use, but somewhat pricy, hence
> the search for alternatives. Any ideas appreciated.

Both ProCite and EndNote (products of RIS, now owned by ISI) have this
feature built into their latest versions.

BookWhere 2000? itself is often available at steep discount from
producers of other programs with which it integrates well.  For example,
Nota Bene for Windows (http://www.notabene.com/nb1.html) offers
BookWhere 2000? for $99 (sometimes less) to registered users of its
Scholars Workstation (which includes Ibidem, similar to ProCite, and
Orbis, a textbase, along with the NB word processor); I think some other
vendors do the same.

You may want to search the archives of either the PROCITE Bibliographic
Software Discussion List at

	http://listserv.indiana.edu/archives/procite.html
	(subscribe at listserv at listserv.indiana.edu)

or those of the BIBSOFT discussion list (for discussion of software for
citations and bibliographies) at

	http://listserv.indiana.edu/archives/procite.html
	(subscribe at listserv at listserv.iupui.edu)

The ProCite Discussion List has a web page with plenty of useful links at

	http://www.indiana.edu/~librcsd/procite/

*****
Dorothy Day
School of Library & Information Science
Indiana University
day at indiana.edu
*****

	"He also surfs who only sits and waits."