of mouse balls and such

Cathy Cox cathy_cox at wvmccd.cc.ca.us
Thu Jan 6 13:51:05 EST 2000

Weighing in a bit belatedly on this one - I've seen a lot of comments from
people focusing on users who are so unfamiliar with computers in general
that they don't understand some of the basics.  However, in certain
instances you can also have problems with people who are so *familiar* with
newer computers that they get into trouble.  A case in point:

In my last job, I was working at a regional site library for USF's
Professional Studies program, where most of our students were employed
full-time in high tech industries.  One night a student who had been
working at a computer called me over. "I can't get my CD out of the drive!"
she complained.  I took a look, and realized she was working on the oldest
one of our machines, the only one that didn't have a CD drive.  It turned
out that she had never seen a computer with a 5-1/4 floppy drive. . .

Fortunately, it was the A drive and I could get at her CD once I removed
the outer case of the tower.

Catherine Cox
Electronic Resources Librarian
Mission College