E-mail in Public Libraries

Brent J. Pliskow htwd at tln.lib.mi.us
Wed Jan 5 15:46:08 EST 2000

Here is an interesting question for everyone.  Our current Internet Usage policy states that "e-mail can only be used at the discretion of a librarian."  However, our patrons seem to ignore this policy and we have since become lax in regards to regulating it.  Members of our staff do not feel it is their job to be "policing" the computer room.  While I have been home on break, I have observed the usage of our Internet workstations.  Without surprise, most people are checking their e-mail.  There are times when all 5 computers are in use, checking their Hotmail, Yahoo!, or other such free e-mail accounts.  This frustrates both myself and other members of the staff.  We do not believe our patrons are making good use of the resource we have provided them.  Moreover, we have "regulars" that spend an entire afternoon sending e-mail.  I would be interested in hearing what other public libraries do to control the use of e-mail.  What does your policy state in regards to e-mail?

I would like to compile all of the responses and present them to the Director and the Library Advisory Board.  Thank you for your time.

Brent J. Pliskow
Huntington Woods Public Library
Webmaster / Technology Assistant
Web Site: http://www.huntington-woods.lib.mi.us