[WEB4LIB] Re: Restricting launches to IP-restricted licensed

Marcia S. Middleton middlem at uhls.lib.ny.us
Tue Jan 4 15:43:03 EST 2000

I'm speaking from a public library system perspective:

This works fine when you are large enough to have your own dedicated IP
addresses or ranges.

As it happens, most of the member libraries in our library system share
the same ranges, but not all subscribe to the same online databases.

We run into problems dealing with database access for only some of the
member libraries or dealing with access for member libraries outside our
IP pool (cookies or user IDs with passwords usually work for them).

We don't use IP authentication unless all member libraries are entitled
to access or unless the URL is only available on an inhouse webpage (on
our website, but no links -- users must know the url to get in and still
be within the IP range).

Bookmarks and desktop shortcuts may also be used, but require upkeep at
each individual workstation, not practical for my library but probably
ok for smaller one-site libraries.

Bottom line is if IP authentication is all the vendor can do then they
have to live with our limitations in reasonable ability to restrict
access.

Marcia S. Middleton
Albany Public Library
161 Washington Avenue