And now for something completely different

Guy Dobson, BCCLS GUY at bccls.org
Tue Jan 4 10:29:44 EST 2000

Many thanks to all the WEB4LIBrarians who have sent in good suggestions
for BCCLS' New Ready Reference device. Some of the comments made me want
to explain the site a little more so here goes...

From: Kathleen Muldowney
> I like the new layout but not crazy about the pop-up windows, it takes
> twice as long as usual to get to the sites.  Any way around that lag?

The pop-up windows are there in an attempt to avoid scrolling through
a long list of links which often makes me feel like I'm trying to find
a URL in a haystack. I might be able to make the pop up windows happen
faster but the real time lag happens after you select a link to one of
the actual sites as this causes an intermediate page to load (and tally
the fact that the site has been accessed) before acutally taking you to
the place you'd like to go. This price is being paid in order to accumulate
the data which you'll find on the site map page re: how often each site is
used. If this information does not turn out to be useful the intermediate
tallying pages will be taken out but I expect that it will help to
identify which sites are useful and which are useless.

From: Vincent A. Mariner
>  I think it would be nice if you could add a "Close Window" link to the
>  pop-ups.

I hesitate to add a button that will use up valuable real estate and only
do that which the "X" in the top right corner of the window already does.

>From Nancy Sosna Bohm:
> <script language="javascript">
> <!--hide
> setTimeout('this.close()',3000)
> end hide-->
> </script>

I like the timeout code but am not sure that I want to put it in the
Ready Reference site. The pop-up window which offers lists of links
and sub-categories will close when you select a site and if you don't
select a site it's contents will be replaced when you return to the
Ready Ref front page and choose a different category. I'd like to set
it up so that when you're all done with Ready Reference and want to
surf on to something else whichever sub-window is open will close.
I hate it when I leave a web site and it leaves many (or even any)
extra browser windows littering my desktop.

From: Debra Lords
> However, what if someone wants to close the window faster?  I'm
> with Nancy on this.  The web page reader looses a lot of control
> over what happens with what they see.  Wherever you can allow
> them to at least maintain the feeling of control, it is wise to
> do so.  It makes your page more of a pleasure to use.

I agree that it's important to give the surfer as much control as
possible. I think that user-friendly = intuitive, consistent, seamless,
etc. control while navigating through a site. However, if someone wants
to close a window fast they really should remember the "X" in the top
right corner.

From: Eric Hellman
> Not Bad!
> we have a job opening for a digital librarian if you're interested or
> know anyone else who might be.

Thanks, Eric. That's a real compliment!

The site will go live today and will be featured in tomorrow's edition of
This Week's Useful-URLs @ http://www.bccls.org/reference/Useful-URLs.shtml

Thanks again for the constructive criticism,
Guy