Beginning a cd burning project

Jeri Traw traw at coastal.edu
Fri Feb 25 09:08:49 EST 2000

I am getting ready to embark on a cd-burning project at my library
and need some advice.  Can anyone shed some light on the process for
me?  I keep reading all of this stuff about how to burn cd's of
cassette tapes and lp's, etc. but it is all from an audiophile's
perspective.  I need advice in plain English for the uninitiated.

What do I really need to get?  A sound card w/ A/D D/A converters or
an external A/D D/A converter that bypasses the sound card
altogether?  What cards or converters would you recommend?

What software do I really need? What is the best?

What type of burner should I look for? Internal or external? Does
anyone have a recommendation for a good CD-RW?

The original project is to burn analog tapes of oral histories onto
CD.  This is by no means a one shot deal. We will be doing other
projects in the future--burning a variety of materials.

Thanks for the help,

Jeri Traw
Reference Librarian/ Web Coordinator
Kimbel Library