[WEB4LIB] TCP/IP lan and dial up

Darryl Friesen Darryl.Friesen at usask.ca
Thu Feb 24 12:08:34 EST 2000

> First realize this request comes a person whose job description is
> System Administrator, cataloger, and
> whoever-answers-the-phone-is-reference desk... I have a small branch
> library (that operates a few hours a day three days a week)  to which I
> am adding a single dial up internet (mostly) pc.  I would like to peer
> to peer a printer with a pc that is used to dial-up access to our
> (formerly know as Dynix) system.   Trouble is, the dial up account will
> not connect with its ISP with a TCP/ICP for networks setup.  The dial up
> for internet will only work if the only devices are dial up adapters.

Is this right:  you have 2 PCs in the same branch location (both with
networks cards as well as modems) -- one for (dialup) Internet access and
one for (dialup) Dynix access -- and you need to access the printer on the
"Dynix PC" from the "Internet PC".

You may not be able to use TCP/IP on both the dial-up adapter (for Internet
access) AND the network card (for file/print sharing) at the same time.  I'd
try installing NetBEUI on both machines (you need it only for the network
card so you can remove anything that looks like "NetBEUI -> Dial-up Adapter"
in the Network settings), then in the Bindings tab for the TCP/IP properties
_uncheck_ "File and print sharing", and in the Bindings tab for NetBEUI
_check_  "File and Print sharing".

If I've misunderstood your question, please pretend like I never sent this
email.  :)

- Darryl

  Darryl Friesen, B.Sc.                        Darryl.Friesen at usask.ca
  Programmer/Analyst                            http://gollum.usask.ca/
  Consulting & Development, Computing Services
  University of Saskatchewan                   "The Truth Is Out There"