TCP/IP lan and dial up

J Brian jbrian at evansville.net
Thu Feb 24 11:39:04 EST 2000

First realize this request comes a person whose job description is
System Administrator, cataloger, and
whoever-answers-the-phone-is-reference desk... I have a small branch
library (that operates a few hours a day three days a week)  to which I
am adding a single dial up internet (mostly) pc.  I would like to peer
to peer a printer with a pc that is used to dial-up access to our
(formerly know as Dynix) system.   Trouble is, the dial up account will
not connect with its ISP with a TCP/ICP for networks setup.  The dial up
for internet will only work if the only devices are dial up adapters.

We peer to peer (mostly for printers) here at the main library and I use
both dial up and direct connect to the 'net from my pc.  Could it be
that the default internet connection at the branch is dialup while my pc
is direct?  (i.e. if I must dial into my personal ISP, I have to dial,
then click on my browser.)

I feel really stupid that I can't get this to work for me.  This list is
soooo smart...do you all have ANY help here?

Many TIA's
Judy McBrian
Systems (Idiot) Administrator
Boonville Warrick Public Library