[WEB4LIB] FrontPage + HomeSite = conflict?

Dan Lester dan at 84.com
Fri Feb 18 17:27:36 EST 2000

JK> Now I've been approached by a potential client who has an established
JK> web production environment using Front Page and the Microsoft web server.

JK> * If I get FrontPage 2000 and use it for this job, will it create
JK>   any conflicts with HomeSite (hijacking default settings, &c)?

I use homesite (well, ColdFusion Studio, which is same thing with some
extra CF bells and whistles) as well as FP2K, plus a bit of
Dreamweaver, and plenty of GWD Text Editor.  I've not noticed any
problems with the mixture.

JK> * Likewise, will the FrontPage "publishing" process create any
JK>   conflicts with my current WS_FTP method of uploading files?

I'd say it depends on whether you use FrontPage directly on the
server, or whether you use the publishing process.  There is NO need
to use publishing if you have any sort of decent connection with the
server.  Instead of working on files locally and then "publishing"
(which is really FTPing the updated files and doing misc link
maintenance and such on the server), just work directly on the server
instead.

The key is that whether you publish or work on the server, that you
import the other files into FP.  That takes a couple seconds, but will
make sure that all your link maintenance, link checking, etc, gets
done automatically.

JK> * If I insist on sticking with HomeSite/WS_FTP, will the files
JK>   and/or uploading method create difficulties for this client
JK>   in integrating my pages into their site, updating them, &c?

Yes.  And no.  See above.  If this doesn't make sense, contact me off
list and I'll explain.  Phone would be easiest.

dan

--
Dan Lester, 3577 East Pecan, Boise, ID  83716-7115  USA
dan at 84.com   www.84.com   www.postcard.org  208-383-0165